[Matroska-general] Re: DVI/HDCP/HDMI

Atamido paul at msn.com
Wed Dec 8 19:27:52 CET 2004

Mike Matsnev wrote:
> Paul Bryson wrote:
>
>> This post I guess didn't take the first time?
>>
>> A nice simple read on these technologies and how they differ.
>> http://www.sigmadesigns.com/support/DVI_HDMI.htm
>>
>> I particularly like this comment at the end, "Including HDCP within
>> the MPEG
>> decoder has the advantage that unencrypted content is not available on
>> the
>> MPEG-DVI/HDMI interface."  And then with the diagram it becomes
>> obvious that
>> if someone includes the encrypter in the DVI transmitter chip, you could
>> probably just swap out the chip with one that doesn't support the
>> encryption
>> methods.
>
> This isnt really important as there are no DVI data capture devices easily
> available, I don't even know any. Also modern ADCs do quite a good job,
> e.g.

I don't know of any either, and the bandwidth it much to large to
capture uncompressed from DVI to be practical anyway.  But if there were
a DVI-to-Analog converter, that would make it much more practical.

> in LCD monitors, so unless ALL hardware is forced to use digital HDMI
> connections it's essentially useless. Because an average Joe user can't
> grab DVI data anyway, and professional pirates don't even need to.

Unfortunately devices are being produced that ONLY accept encrypted
connections.  So if a video card is producing an unencrypted DVI signal,
you can't connect it to your new $15,000 widescreen TV.  So if there
were a way to replace a chip on such a device, I'm sure it would make
some people quite happy.

Atamido