[Matroska-general] Re: DVI/HDCP/HDMI

Mike Matsnev mike at po.cs.msu.su
Wed Dec 8 16:24:14 CET 2004

Paul Bryson wrote:
> This post I guess didn't take the first time?
>
> A nice simple read on these technologies and how they differ.
> http://www.sigmadesigns.com/support/DVI_HDMI.htm
>
> I particularly like this comment at the end, "Including HDCP within the MPEG
> decoder has the advantage that unencrypted content is not available on the
> MPEG-DVI/HDMI interface."  And then with the diagram it becomes obvious that
> if someone includes the encrypter in the DVI transmitter chip, you could
> probably just swap out the chip with one that doesn't support the encryption
> methods.
This isnt really important as there are no DVI data capture devices easily
available, I don't even know any. Also modern ADCs do quite a good job, e.g.
in LCD monitors, so unless ALL hardware is forced to use digital HDMI
connections it's essentially useless. Because an average Joe user can't
grab DVI data anyway, and professional pirates don't even need to.

/Mike