[Matroska-general] Minutes of the IRC meeting about the new matroska packs - 9th august 2004

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Mon Aug 9 16:39:43 CEST 2004

Hi,

here a short comprehension of what was decided today on IRC about the
installer packs :

*1. We will shortly release the new packs, ver. 1.0.3, with the
following changes :*

a. Toff's fixed matroskasplitter filter ( 1.0.2.4 ? ) based on the well
know Gabest splitter, with
- TTA support
- 64 bit timestamp handling
- partial rendering bug fixed

b. TTA decoder filter ( also from Toff )

c. the latest stable ffdshow build, 2004-07-25, *including* FFvfw  (
:sigh: )

d. a modified vsfilter, capable to  connect to Haali's new matroska
parser filter, for the upcoming test phase ( see below ), also compiled
by Toff

All other filters and apps, i.e.

- matroskaprop 2.6
- matroskamuxer 1.0.0.8
- mmswitch ( matroska edition ) 0.99
- ac3filter 0.70 b
- CoreAAC 1.0 b9
- CoreVorbis 1.0 b6
- CoreFLAC 0.3 beta4
- matrix mixer 0.30 b
- Realmedia splitter 1.0.0.9

remain unchanged, unless Toff will find new versions of them which are
proven to be stable and reliable. The packs will be distributed from
Haali's server ( in Russia ), to avoid any problems with the included
MPEG4 encoder.

*2.* Soon after the new packs are released *we will start a test phase
of the new splitter filter from Haali* , only on user forums with a high
technical level, i.e. Hydrogenaudio.org, Doom9, Corecodec.com . The
switch from Gabests filter to Haali's filter makes sense because our old
friend Gabest seems to finally have settled for wife and kids, and cant
invest so much time into his great Guliverkli project any longer. The
whole team wants to express their biggest thanks to him, as without his
incredible work its possible that matroska wouldnt exist anymore, at
least not the way it is today :-) !

The goal is to make the next packs, numbered 1.1.0, based on Haali's
splitter. His splitter is using a new parser library written in C, and
its also the basis for a the matroska parser in the first *PocketPC*
player to support matroska, picard's *Betaplayer* (
http://corecodec.org/projects/betaplayer ).

Maybe this library can become the basis for a kind of 'standard' C
parser lib, to be used for
- gstreamer plugin
- FFMPEG/libavcodec
- mplayer
- Xine

The single testing of the filter will lead to a test of the 1.1.0 pack
alpha version with the same group of people, to find out about the
compatibility of the new splitter with all other filters, before pack
1.10 will be release ( likely by the end of the year )

*3. Toff will write to Milan Cutka,* the main developer behind ffdshow,
and ask him about the chance to make slight changes to ffdshow, so that
a special build without MPEG4 encoder can be done for us, maybe for the
1.1.0 pack already, in very best case even for the 1.0.3 packs ( unlikely ).

*4. We need a volunteer for the new packs*, to modify the existing NSIS
installer, if *Nibor* doesnt have the time to do it next week, as we
need to ship these packs urgently and ASAP, to avoid delays for
mkvtoolnix 0.9.5 with 64 bit precision !!

*5.* I will go through all of the text and the Disclaimer of the packs,
to make sure there are no typos/bugs or missing links in there. We will
also try to include a dedicated warning for *playback problems of MKV
files with RV9* content, as well as a Guide on how to play them (
biggest problem currently ) and how to install Realpalyer 'safely'.
Maybe even something very dominant, like a popup window they have to
click away on installation, with a big 'WARNING !!' in the title, is to
be considered, as this is obviously the biggest annoyance with MKV
compatibility right now, leading to a bad user reputation for the project.

Comments welcome, as always

ChristianHJW
matroska project admin