[Matroska-general] Where do we go from here ?

Cyrius suiryc at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 30 11:31:36 CEST 2004

Hi

> Of course it's hard to convince people to work on something that will
> probably not give them any money (it's quite clear now that no
> company
> will ever pay us for the Matroska format, as everything is now
> completely free).

That's what Open Source is about ;)

> And even with a few money we couldn't stop our jobs anyway. So right
> now
>   I think that we will be a large/growing project but only on our
> spare
> time. And this is an important part we have to take into
> consideration.
>
> So from this spare time, what can we do ? What is needed ?
>
> First, my personal needs :
> - capture TV into Matroska (DirectShow based)
> - capture DV into Matroska (with an efficient Matroska handling)
> - reencode these captures to smaller MKV
> - burn MKV movies as DVDs
> - Musepack (MPC) in MKV/MKA
> - support for MKA in iTunes

My personal interests right now are rather limited:
  - new x-platform video encoder (which includes everything related to
that, such as investigating gstreamer, etc)

Oh, I also want to finish to rewrite my old OGM tools (it's already
quite advanced now), but I guess you don't care about that part ;)

> Some of these could be done with GStreamer. And the advantage of
> GSTreamer is that it may be working on Linux, Windows, OS X someday
> from
> the same code. So any tools based on these would probably be portable
> too. And we have to keep that in mind (that's also a reason why it's
> harder to get money/support, because no OS vendor is interrested in
> support something that will work as well for competitors).

Anyway you all know I'm doing this only to become famous ;)

Best regards
Cyrius