[Matroska-general] Matroska hardware

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Thu Apr 1 13:14:35 CEST 2004

Hi everyone,

After some discussions with Christian, we have decided to make the
announcement of a partnership we've been discussing for a few weeks.

As you know, the software is gaining more and more "market share" in the
  AV world and the hardware is getting less important. So it is a
logical move for all A/V machine creators to embrace this move and
become more flexible. This is a key move for us as we are meant to be
flexible, extensible as much as possible and it doesn't always meet the
requirements of restricted hardware devices.

As you know, Sony are going to use Linux is some of their future A/V
devices and especially in their DVR devices. And they have accepted to
use Matroska as the basis of their "organic" system. That means a system
that will grow and evolve with time with constant upgrades and new
features/codecs.

OK, this is an april's fool. But I'm sure that this is the way things
are going to move in the future, anyway (until lossless compression is
the only thing needed, which I doubt will ever happen, for bandwidth
efficiency reason)