[Matroska-general] Re: [Matroska-devel] Next steps for matroska - where do we go from now??

Jory jcsston at toughguy.net
Tue Sep 9 17:30:56 CEST 2003

> 3. FLAC / Wavpack ( lossless audio ) support
>
> With VirtualVCR-matroska from Belgabor and AVT2000 from Czechia there
> are 2 capturing apps now that will allow capturing into MKV files, and i
> get positive replies from all sides about matroska's very good
> performance for capturing, especially if compression is used during
> capturing ( uncompressed files result in LOOOONG parsing times in
> VdubMod ) and the capture is running for several hours. FLAC or Wavpack
> support would offer new possibilities here, and stregthen our 'market
> position' for the analog capture people IMHO.

In case anybody didn't already know, I did add FLAC muxing to VDubMOD via
libflac. But it was buggy and slow because the only way to extract the
frames with libflac was to feed the decoder one byte at a time, storing the
data start and length whenever a decompressed frame was produced.
On top of that the timecodes were not always correct, some files would play
too fast others too slow. Same encode settings, same channel, sample rate,
bit-depth.

So I started a flac parser from scratch and made good progress until I hit
the UTF encoded integers.
http://flac.sourceforge.net/format.html

I have the code in the coreflac CVS if anybody wants to look at it.
http://corecodec.org/projects/coreflac/

See Ya,
Jory