[Matroska-general] Next steps for matroska - where do we go from now ??

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Tue Sep 9 14:38:36 CEST 2003

HI guys,

vacation is over :P !!

Everybody wake up and start working again :D

Here some ideas where we should progress from where we are :

1. EDC / ECC / mode2 form2 / XCD / hardware profiles

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=369721#post369721  . I
am writing in this thread :

' For MKV hardware support : One of the next things we will focus on is
the inherent error detection and correction in matroska files for
enhanced mode2 form2 / XCD support, and the same tools will have an
automatic feature integrated to reorder the elements in matroska files
such that hardware devices will have a much easier life reading them. In
short, the MKV files will be written in a new, mandatory way for
improved hardware support, and this element order will be a part of the
matroska hardware profiles specs ....'

2. Image subtitles, compressed and uncompressed

My contact with the PNG/MNG mailing list ( most of the emails were at
least copied to the matroska lists, i hope you realized the origin ) had
as a result that maybe the speed advantage of lzo was only because it
has no CRC32 routines coming with it by default, while all the other
standard compression libs had, so maybe Mosu's test was not really fair.
I have no idea how to disable CRC32 for the other libs, you guys will know.
In any case, this is a great new feature we should implement asap IMHO,
users are waiting for it and keen on using it, and it would underline
our enhanced subs support capabilities.

3. FLAC / Wavpack ( lossless audio ) support

With VirtualVCR-matroska from Belgabor and AVT2000 from Czechia there
are 2 capturing apps now that will allow capturing into MKV files, and i
get positive replies from all sides about matroska's very good
performance for capturing, especially if compression is used during
capturing ( uncompressed files result in LOOOONG parsing times in
VdubMod ) and the capture is running for several hours. FLAC or Wavpack
support would offer new possibilities here, and stregthen our 'market
position' for the analog capture people IMHO.

4. Menues

Yes, we should get that going and nothing can stop matroska anymore !!!!

Ideas, suggestions ?