[Matroska-general] Re: New 'big' release ?

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Sun Nov 16 19:02:26 CET 2003

Pamel wrote:

> "Steve Lhomme" wrote...
>
>>What we need to go to round 3 :
>>- complex tracks support (DV)
>>- control-track
>>- menus
>

> What are complex tracks?

A track that contain both audio and video in the same frame.

> I think that most of the control-track/menus could be defined outside of the
> Matroska spec allowing for a faster move to round 3.
>

>>What will not be in v1.0 :
>>- DRM
>

> I think that proper DRM should include encryption as has already been shown by
> Jory's DirectShow filter.   If that is the case, then it is basically already
> defined.  Implementing it would be a whole different concern that really isn't
> needed from the Matroska team.  I really doubt that anyone on the team wants to
> set up a permanent DRM server, but it would be nice to provide an example.

For both Menu and DRM we need to make sure lots of possibilities can be
done with the format. So we don't have to change it later. Jory's
encoding system is independant of the container so doesn't go in that
category. But maybe a good DRM would need to be integrated in the
container. I don't know.