[Matroska-general] New 'big' release ?

Jory jcsston at wiesneronline.net
Fri Nov 14 20:59:29 CET 2003

----- Original Message -----
Subject: Re: [Matroska-general] New 'big' release ?

> Steve Lhomme wrote:
>
> > Christian HJ Wiesner wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, what do you all think about a new 'big' release ?
> >
> > What do you call a big release ?
>
> A big release is what we had been doing in May, for the public launch,
> and the CHIP/Liisachan release where a lot of new features, like
> chapters, SSA subs, etc, were introduced.
>
> >> Here is what we have right now :
> >> - vobsub in mkv, muxing with mkvmerge, playback on DShow, in mplayer
> >> and VLC
> >> - compressed vobsub in mkv, muxing, playback
> >> - new EBML lacing sheme
> >> - AviMux-GUI with MKV support
> >> - FLAC in MKA ( in MS/ACM mode with huge overhead because no lacing
> >> is used )
> >
> > I think we should wait until we have something better. Either better
> > FLAC or better MonkeyAudio.
>

> After talking to jcsston about this, i am not sure if there is a better
> way to implement FLAC than what he has done now. If i understand this
> correctly, there is still no proper way to understand where the frame
> boundaries of FLAC are, as the internal FLAC API does not allow the
> encoder to indicate a new frame/block . As a result this would mean we
> had to use FLAC in ACM compatibility mode, same way as we are foing now
> with his DirectShow encoder filter.
The encoder API docs say that the encoder doesn't provide one frame at a
time, However in my tests it does and I use this to split at frame
boundaries  in the DShow FLAC encoder filter.
The problem I had with finding the frame boundaries was with existing .flac
files. Mosu has found that ogg-in-flac does solve this problem.

> Maybe we should concentrate on Wavpack4 instead ? I contacted David
> Bryant, the Wavpack4 author, asking him about the sourcecode that some
> of you guys were requesting from me.
>
> Question @ Mosu, Jcsston :
>
> If we assume that David has made his API different than Josh and easier
> to use for us, is there any chance of getting it implemented until, say,
> middle of December ?

Considering that it took me 2 weeks to get the DShow FLAC Encoder filter
working. Building from that I prehaps could have a working WavPack DShow
filter in 2 weeks. ;)

> @ jcsston : proper lossless support in matroska REQUIRES also editing in
> VirtualdubMod, because i see the main use for this feature in video
> editing, besides our plans for 'MusicCD-in-a-MKA-file' . I know you have
> invested a lot of time in doing that with FLAC, and then recognized its
> hard or impossible to do. Jory, based on your experiences with hacking
> FLAC support into VdubMod, would you be prepared to do the same thing
> for Wavpack4 also ??

If Wavpack4 uses a constant number of samples per frame, like FLAC and VBR
MP3, it shouldn't be any problem to edit in VDubMOD.

Jory