[Matroska-general] Re: New 'big' release ?

Pamel paul at msn.com
Fri Nov 14 16:35:26 CET 2003

"René Koch"  wrote in message...
> I just thought that e.g. menus could be done in one month or so and this
> would be a time we can wait. Of course I know that it's a lot of work to
> implement menus or usf-subs.

Yes, it would be lots and lots of work to implement menus.  Besides deciding on,
making, and coding a spec, you would need something to play it back.  Currently
the best choice would probably be the MP4 menus, but there is no directshow
filter for those so it excludes the largest user base which is directshow
users/players.  Two months would be much to short to deal with all of these
things.

> What's with MPEG2-support as ChristianHJW wrote? Is it possible to implement
> this until December 1st (or what ever the date for the release is...).

The problem with MPEG-2 support is that there are several MPEG-2 containers, and
all of them are a pain.  Also, all of the DirectShow MPEG-2 decoders are pretty
picky.  With Gabest's help this could probably be done pretty quickly, but there
currently isn't anyone with enough knowledge/time.  Mosu could also probably get
this done pretty quickly, but he doesn't have the time either.

> An other program for the release could be DVDtoOGM Matroska Edition.
> ChristianHJW started a thread with features he wants in this program. But
> maybe it's too early to include this program in this release. In the next
> one it should be integrated...

The developer for that program needs to say how ready he is.

Pamel