[Matroska-general] New 'big' release ?

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Fri Nov 14 10:07:02 CET 2003

Hi,

> This are really great facts but for a 'big' release in my opionion there are
> 2 things missing:
> - Menu
> - USF-Subtitles

I disagree. Those two are valid for a NEXT BIG release. But so far I
think we have only had two big releases - the very first one around May
and the one for August 1st due to articles in a big German computer
magazine. Since then a lot of stuff has changed, tools have become
better, and we have gotten better than our main competition, Ogm, in
each and every aspect now that we have chapters / language tags /
whateverwasstillmissing.

This DOES warrant a new release. It has been over three months now - and
if we wait until menus or at least USF subs are done then we'll wait
another three if not more. If we release at Dec 1st then that would be a
good thing, IMHO. Four months between big releases is good.

Also we're not saying 'hey, Matroska is done now'. That should be left
for when menus and stuff like that has been implemented. The libs are
not at v1.0, neither is my mkvtoolnix package. So I think we can really
say 'hey, this is not everything but we've reached a milestone now'.

> What's with VirtualDub Mod? If there will be a new version it should also be
> in the release...

Of course. That goes without saying.

--
 ==> Ciao, Mosu (Moritz Bunkus)