[Matroska-general] New 'big' release ?

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Thu Nov 13 14:45:48 CET 2003

Hi,

> what do you all think about a new 'big' release ?

Release now, implement new things later.

> - vobsub in mkv, muxing with mkvmerge, playback on DShow, in mplayer and VLC
> - compressed vobsub in mkv, muxing, playback
> - new EBML lacing sheme
> - AviMux-GUI with MKV support
> - FLAC in MKA ( in MS/ACM mode with huge overhead because no lacing is
> used )
> - matroska stream editor, for VFR appending
> - VFR muxing into MKV ( mkvmerge with timestamp file )
>
> Did i forget anything ? Are these new features worth a new big release
> - ?

Definitely. Like they said on IRC: We're close to christmas, and a lot
of folks will be busy finding some suitable present for their
significant other and with general christmas stuff. So we should release
SOON.

> What else could we add in a reasonable time ?
>
> TCMP RC5 ?
> MPEG1 in MKV ?
> MPEG2 in MKV ?

Definitely not the latter two. The things I personally could add in
reasonable time are pretty down to... nothing. Not even proper FLAC
support, I'm afraid.

So don't wait for the Evil World Domination Feature being implemented ;)
Prepare a release now! Such a release needs some time and effort to
prepare, so we shouldn't waste any more time.

--
 ==> Ciao, Mosu (Moritz Bunkus)