[Matroska-general] Re: [Matroska-devel] DVDtoOGM with Matroskasupport

Pamel paul at msn.com
Sat Nov 1 17:24:31 CET 2003

"Christian HJ Wiesner" wrote...
1. I was planning to make this program a fixed part of the complete
matroska project, not just an app that will output MKV files, like many
others. As such, it HAS to be opensource, as a nobody will understadn
that an opensource team is promoting a closed source app as main
creation program. Our 'enemies', if we have such, would love to get such
an argument from us, to use it against us. In short, if DVDtoMKV would
not go opensource, we can list it as an app supporting MKV creation, but
i wont push it as the official tool then. Sorry, but i am not willing to
negotiate here. Of course, any other project admin can do whatever he
likes in this respect, but then he will have to invest his time.

I don't really see this as an issue.  Opensource projects work closely with
closed source projects all the time.  Even len0x is making his own closed source
solution.  I don't know about how much time should be invested in it from the
Matroska team, but it doesn't sound like much would be needed.  And it doesn't
sound like he is going to close source any code from the Matroska team, so whats
the problem?  If he wants to make a DVDtoMKV we couldn't stop him because all of
the tools are free anyway.

3.  DVDtoMKV, the offiicial MKV DVD backup tool, has to use mkvmerge for
MKV creation, and nothing else. VdubMod, although being an excellent
tool and a great basis for the usability of MKV ( pls. dont get me wrong
here ), simply doesnt support enough of MKVs extraordinary features such
as aspect ratio correction, SSA subs muxing, vobsub muxing, etc. More
specifically, all features VdubMod supports in MKV are usable for OGM
also, so we arent any better than it if it is used.

Unfortunately MKVMerge and VDMod don't overlap that much in purpose.  VDMod does
editing and encoding, MKVMerge does neither.  So, using MKVMerge in place of
VDMod is impossible.  I can't encode anything.

Pamel