[Matroska-devel] Re: [Matroska-general] The near future of matroska - where do we go now?

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Sat Nov 1 01:19:15 CET 2003

Jory wrote:

>>- FLAC support
>>

>FLAC is already supported via the FLAC DShow En/Decoder filters.
>http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?showtopic=13921
>
>Jory

Jesusu, Jory,

you are faster than a flash lightning .... i didnt find this thread
because i cant access Hydrognaudio.org from home for the time being,
their internal firewall will block me for some strange reason.

Now, do i understand this correctly :

The FLAC encoder filter will

- write valid FLAC files when connecting to a file writer
- wriate valid FLAC in MKV files when connected to matroska muxer

Toff's FLAC decoder filter will

- only be able to decode FLAC from MKV ( or Ogg )

??

Ok, so i tried to download the binaries according to the Goecities link
you gave, and had to realize that Chinese ISPs are obviously blocked
from accessing Geocities. However, using my tunnel via my server in
Germany it worked and i could download both binaries. I uploaded them to
matroska.free.fr, but will talk to Toff about releasing them officially
in the CoreFLAC project on corecodec.org, where they belong IMHO.

Here the new links :

Http://downloads.matroska.org/downloads/CoreFLACEncoder-v0.1.zip

Http://downloads.matroska.org/downloads/CoreFLACDecoder.zip

I will test this as soon as i can. Some questions :

1. Will the files be written as native FLAC files from matroskamuxer, or
use the A_MS/ACM mode ? If so, i hate to say i dont like it. In this
case we have to contact Gabest and talk to him about defining a new
MEDIASUBTYPE for connection from the encoder to the muxer, and make it
write native FLAC codec IDs

2. You didnt update the codec ID page, adding a native FLAC ID ?

3. Can MKV files with FLAC be edited on VdubMod already ?

Thanks for some answers