[matroska-general] Codec API

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Sun May 25 16:19:32 CEST 2003

As we know there is a need for a more portable codec API that could
support more features of modern codec (like B frames,
multi-in/multi-out, etc).

It seems a good solution is to have one function to call with
messages... But guess what ? That's what ACM and VCM support ! And these
APIs are open ! We could add new messages that regular ACM/VCM could
discard (like VCM_GET_FRAME_EXTRA_INFO to have a codec state or
reference dependencies) !

So instead of creating a new API from the start we have to integrate, we
could reuse the MS one and extend it... We can call these filter ACMex
and VCMex... What do you think ?