[matroska-general] Re: Asking for publishing magazine

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Thu May 15 22:02:44 CEST 2003

Hi Atsushi,

i herewith aprove your request to include our matroska project support
from VirtualdubMod in your Net-Runner magazine. Please understand that
matroska is not a codec, but a container format ( similar to AVI ) that
can be used to create digital movies with modern audio and video codecs
like Ogg Vorbis / MPC / XviD / DivX / AC3 / MP3, while AVI does not
support this anymore in many respects ( its too old ).

matroska is an opensource and open standard project, and support for
Asian characters in file names as well as in subtitles was on the very
top of our priority list from the very start. Please point your users
also to the other software on our homepage :

http://www.matroska.org
http://www.matroska.org/announce.html

Without the matroska DirectShow parser from
http://matroska.sourceforge.net/downloads/mkxds-v0.4.0.zip your users
will not be able to play the files they created with VirtualdubMod, so i
recommend that you incude at least this file int your CD. Please accept
our apologies that the current version of the parser filter will support
unicode file names just fine, but not unicode subtitles output yet. We
are working hard on this to fix that.

Our Linux tools are here : http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/
; as usual on Linux, these are sources for compilation on the Linux
distro the users is running, but there are binaries also.

To best view matroska files we recommend a great DirectShow Mediaplayer
clled 'The Core Media Player' ( freeware ) from
http://www.corecoded.com. The administrator to talk to is Dan 'Betaboy'
Marlin ( betaboy at corecodec.com ).

Christian Wiesner
matroska project administrator