[matroska-general] Re: Matroska

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Wed Mar 26 11:50:10 CET 2003

> I will discuss with Steve, Cyrius and Mosu, the main coders of the
> library, about the possibility to give Ahead a commercial license of our
> code, at no cost, but with a time limit ( like 5 years ? ).
> Alternatively you had to release your plugin sourcecode under either a
> QPL or a GPL license, or using both license types.

I understand the matroska support in Nero would be a *huge* boost for us ! But
in the other hand if we don't get any money from them, we'll hardly get any from
anyone... We are not in it for the money for sure. But we already said money
would be welcome to push the format, attend conferences, legal problems, hosting
(sharing some money with CC) and future development (of matroska and side projects).

Now we may not "sell" the code (but still restrict the distribution to a binary
form and get access to their modifications) but accept a donation in exchange of
this special license :) I don't think we want to go the royalties way (get a few
cents for every shipped binary) even though it's the most lucrative way (and you
are paid for the acceptance of the format).

Also you forgot to mention we want to be a viable and long-term free alternative
to existing containers like AVI, Quicktime/MP4, OGG, MPEG, etc. With a view on
hardware players. So Nero would be a good entry point to CDs/DVDs with native
matroska files and streams for hardware players.

Finally, we have nice logos in preparation if they want to use it :)