[matroska-general] Re: H.264 updates

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Thu Mar 13 18:13:30 CET 2003

To: matroska-general at freelists.org
CC: hdot264-devel at lists.sf.net

Steve Lhomme wrote:

>OK, that makes 5 bits (0x00 to 0x1F). That leaves 1 free/unused/reserved in the
>Block. And we handle all cases covered by H.264 (the most complex big codec of
>the coming years) in a cleaner way, even the cases not covered by their specs.
>http://www.matroska.org

I am backing up the idea to use 5 of the spare 6 bits we have to be able
to support h.264 in a neat way .... after all, if i am not mistaken we
could ( in principal ) redefine the use of those 6 bits for other
codecs, if really necessary ? Sure, its not the best way to go to make
such specific definitions for every codec, but h.264 will be used for
the next 4 - 6 years i guess, and then we have to think about matroska 2
already ;) ....

Christian

BTW : why was this thread started in matroska-general instead of
matroska-devel ?

Full threads :

http://news.gmane.org/thread.php?group=gmane.comp.multimedia.matroska.general
http://news.gmane.org/thread.php?group=gmane.comp.multimedia.matroska.devel