[matroska-general] Re: Specs update

Pamel Paul at msn.com
Thu Mar 13 05:49:46 CET 2003

"Steve Lhomme" <steve.lhomme at free.fr> wrote
> En réponse à Pamel <Paul at msn.com>:
>
> > Could we get a way to virtually define groups of tracks?
>
> You mean like adding a subtrack system ?
> Doh !
> :)

Goodness no.  I just mean a simple way to virtualy group tracks together.
Just an element where you have a name and a set of track numbers.  Then you
could select that virtual grouping and the player would autoselect the
tracks listed for playing.  It wouldn't change the structure of the file at
all, and a track could be used in more than one group.

> What would be the use ?

Example 1:
A group of tracks labelled English, French, and Directors commentary.  You
select English and it auto selects the main video , English audio, and
English subtitles track.  Whether or not the subtitles are displayed
initially is by the preferences in the player.  You select French and the
main video, English audio, and French subtitles track are selected.  Whether
or not the subtitles are displayed initially is by the preferences in the
player.  You select Directors commentary, and the main video, Directors
audio, and Directors subtitles track are all selected....  It would make it
very easy to select a grouping of video, audio, subtitles, etc, without
defining something so complicated as a menuing system.

Example 2:
You store all 5 music videos made by a band in a Matroska file.  All videos
were encoded using different codecs, so they can't be in the same tracks
using chapters.  So, that is 5 video, and 5 audio streams.  It would be nice
to be able to select the song from a list of 5 items to autoselect the video
and audio tracks for that song.

Pamel

BTW, I've never been into downloading music, but I recently downloaded a
large number of classical and black-gospel songs (think public domain).  And
most of them have the track number and the name of the song for the file
name.  So, I have 10 files that begin with "01" at the beginning of the
directory, and I can't tell by looking at the filenames who the artist
(Mozart? Chopin?) is, or what album it is from.  Terribly irritating.  I
can't wait until I just can just get a whole album in a single Matroska
file.