[matroska-general] Japanese and/or Korean/Chinese subtitles for my new matroska smaple file

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Thu Jun 12 13:19:47 CEST 2003

Hi Liisachan, Hi Ayaka,

i am turning to you, searching help in a specific matter about
subtitles. You may be aware that the last sample file i made, with 5.1
AAC audio and full DVD resolution ( XviD ) was a big success, attracting
many users to 'sniff' into using matroska first time ( even people from
Ahead tested it and were delighted i heard  ;-) ... lol  ).

I have plans for another, better file now, and i want to propagate this
on all video related mailing lists and webboards to show them the
'power' of matroska :-) . The file will be 'Starwars Episode 2 - attack
of the clones' , like the first time, i also think i will use the same
scene again, dont know yet, be 10 MB big again ( 30 s ) and have the
following features :

- 'native' MPEG4 matroska video stream, made with DaveEL's alpha
'avs2matroska' tool, which is not VfW based but using xvid.dll,
dynamically linked to it. Resolution will be 720 x 432 again, and the AR
flag in the matroska header set to 2.35 again ( 16:9 anamorphic ) ;
this will be a native MPEG4 mkv file for the first time, so i cna use
b-frames unlimited, without having to use packed bitstream or dummy
frames ( = lagging )

- AAC 5.1 English ; track nr. #1

- AAC 5.1 German ; track nr. #2            ; both AACs are made from the
AC3 on a PAL DVD, via BeSweet ( export to 5.1 AIFF ), resampled to 44.1
KHz using SSRC and then encoded to 5.1 AAC using the latest Nero
5.5.10.35 ; they sound excellent ( already on my HDD @home ;-) )

- Ogg Vorbis commentators track , q = 0.001 , 48 kbps

- UTF8 subtitles ( all downloaded from a Czech subtitles server, big
thanks to Gabest for the link ) :

* French
* Spanish
* Portugese
* Danish
* Swedish
* Finnish
* Czech

Unfortunately some of them were made for 23,97 fps originally, so i have
no idea yet how to make them match with my 25 fps PAL video, but i hope
to find a way somehow ...

Now here is my question to you both :

Is there any chance to get japanese, korean or chinese language
subtitles for this movie, and if ever possible in 25 fps ? Main problem
is, i cant read the stuff ( naturally ;-) ), so i couldnt check if the
timing was correct .... can you help me here ? I hope there are
subtitles server in Japan also, and the European servers dont offer too
much Asian character stuff ;) ....

@Mosu : what is missing in mplayer to be able to view a 'native' MPEG4
mkv file ? libavcodec should handle it fine ?

@Cyrius : Any reason why VdubMod could screw up with such a high number
of streams ? did you test this before ?

@Gabest :  vsfilter can switch between all these subs streams ?

@menno : Would i run into problems telling the AAC were encoded with
latest Nero ? Dont think so, but just to be sure

@DaveEL : Dont worry mate, the preparation of this file will take about
3 - 4 weeks i guess ! No pressure on you here ;) ....

Thanks for helping me !! Lets make sure this sample file will kick ass
to show the world the power of matroska :-)  !!