[Matroska-general] OggDs

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Thu Jul 10 09:52:45 CEST 2003

Hi,

So all of you now know that OggDs has become open source yesterday and can
be found in the Xiph CVS... Why do I mention this here ?

Simply because I don't want people to waste their energy starting fights on
forums or IRC saying that A is better than B for various reasons. I'd prefer
that all these fights would not happen. We do our thing, they do theirs. Of
course there is a kind of competition, but IMO that's for the end user and
the technical matters. Not against other developpers.

OGM becoming open source (documented ? what pbs does this version have that
they didn't release the latest one ?) changes of course our impact on the
community. One of the strongest point against OGM was that it is
closed-source and not guaranteed to work in the future. This is still the
case until someone take the responsability to support it and improve it. I'm
sure there will be some developpers who would step in for that.

So what advantages do we have over OGM ? Very little : flexibility,
extensibility, size, fast seeking, container independant of the codecs used
(see granulepos), channel dependencies (like a default track, overlay
tracks, scaling timecodes for 25fps/23.96fps mixing). All the rest we can
do, they can do it. The only thing we can't do is streaming over UDP
(unlikely to happen for video using OGM anyway).

For the end user almost all of them doesn't matter. But for the coders it
means a lot.

We can succeed if we keep on working as we did : for the user, no matter
what OS or application he/she uses.