[matroska-general] Re: I hope we can avoid such stuff

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Tue Jan 28 12:13:12 CET 2003

En réponse à Frank Klemm <pfk at fuchs.offl.uni-jena.de>:

> Taken from FLAC 1.1.0 release page:
>
>   Note that the minor version has incremented, meaning forward
> compatibility
>   was broken (forward compatibility means an earlier decoder can play
> all
>   streams made by a later decoder). This is only because of a bug in
> 1.0.4
>   and prior where the decoder could not properly skip unknown metadata.
> The
>   stream format itself has not changed and FLAC is still fully
>   backward-compatible.  All it means is that a FLAC file containing
> cue
>   sheet metadata will not decode in older decoders. This bug is fixed
> in
>   1.1.0.
>
> I hope we can avoid such problems.

I hope too !
That's why we're keeping the code not really public (only developpers can use
it) as the format is still subject to changes (see yesterday's updates and I
still didn't have a look to your LFE email).

Right now I can't think of any changes on the EBML part, which is highly
flexible and should not have any forward compatibility problems (new basic types
should be added to handle other complicated forms of the format).

On the other hand, matroska defines a lot of stuff in the standard. And not all
of them are tested and can be tested soon. So the spec freezing will not happen
very soon (or at list only for the working/tested parts). Once the first beta
code is released to the general public (with tools using that code) all the
introduced/used elements should be considered as frozen.
http://matroska.org