[matroska-general] Re: Binary launch

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Fri Jan 24 10:01:03 CET 2003

En réponse à John Cannon <spyder482 at yahoo.com>:

> As I am not working on any major coding projects until closer to the
> release
> of libmatroska, I can take up a few small things if I need to.  I have
> been
> thinking of working on that document that explains Matroska.  I could
> work
> maybe 30 minutes at a time and have an initial draft before too long.
> Any
> information you think should be included, please forward to me.
> Anything in
> the old MLs that is of interest or special consideration(unique ideas,
> uses,
> structures...).  The document will begin with a brief description of
> the
> format that should be easily understood by those who would be interested
> in
> knowing what Matroska is.  As the document continues, it will describe
> the
> concepts, EBML, the container structure, advantages, disadvantages,
> and
> design goals of the format.  I think it would be of great use to us when
> we
> release.  If we funnel all of the details and ideas into that document,
> then
> people will have a place to turn to when they want to find out what
> Matroska
> is.  If they have questions, they can check the FAQ someone suggested.
> The
> author of the FAQ should work closely with me to integrate the
> questions
> into the document and maybe derail some of the public onslaught that
> will
> occur when we release a format with such radical ideas.  We determine
> the
> future of this format.  Let's make a HUGE first impression.  If we
> release
> just a library that can do all of these things, the people may not get
> the
> point immediately.  But if we make a massive effort to inform the users
> of
> what is capable in and what has been implemented in Matroska, we will
> surely
> succeed.  Now if any of you have ideas of things that should be included
> in
> this document, please relay them to me. :)

Well, IMO the main priority is a technical FAQ (the one document you want to
work on). Because the first people that will need information on the format will
be developpers. Hopefully the ones already working on integrating
matroska/libmatroska know a lot about it. But I suggest all the developpers
subscribed here to send the questions they have on the format (technical or
not). Spyder should collect them, organise them, and hopefully reply (otherwise
I will).

I'd like to contribute here, but I don't have any question on the format
(hopefully).

Spyder you can already try to make a recap of what has been said yesterday on
IRC regarding the dual licensing of the code. As for sure, people will want to
know their rights before using the code (and our policy regarding the code).
http://matroska.org