[matroska-general] Re: Guys, lets take it easy now with the Ogg/matroska comparison

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Wed Jan 15 12:22:11 CET 2003

ChristianHJW wrote:
> About the thread : Emmett was questioning the existence of matroska
> publically, so we had to respond to this, what we did and we did very well i
> guess. MfA, being a real Ogg container fan it seems, was asking why we
> havent built matroska on top of Ogg, so we told him why this was no option
> for us. Please, lets stop the talking and discussion now. We have everything
> we need now to be able to build a 1st version of matroska creation tools,
> for both Windows ( thanks to Suiryc's VdubMod ) and Linux ( thanks to
> Moritz ), plus a quite well working Dshow parser skeleton ( thanks to Jan ).
> It should be possible to start alpha testing in the small, well known circle
> of alpha testers by end of february, on both webboards.
>
> Lets surprise all the people out there now, who are doubting we ever will
> make it !!  And be very very quiet until then ....

Well, yes. But you must also reckon that we didn't reach this stage on
matroska by just working alone in a corner. We listen and see what is
around. And as I may have misunderstood the way OGG is working, I wanted
to make sure. And frankly even if it's working it's a real mess for
developpers. Now I know for sure matroska is better designed than OGG.
And I hope other people are convinced too. Starting from Emmett and
other ppl of Xiph. Because in the end I think they will have to realise
it. And since they want to build soemthing big, it would be better if
it's not build on swamps...

Anyway, for sure we're currently not in position to say people to use
matroska instead of OGG (unless they need UDP streaming). So yes, alpha
tools in the main priority. But as we have always done we discuss at the
same time and change the format when needed. It's still open to changes
in case it's needed. For example, should we allow a stream for fonts ?
It's not needed in a file on HD. But it might be when
streaming/broadcasting. Maybe we just need a special stream to put
attached data inside (the same data that can be attached in a file). So
that anything that can be attached, can be streamed too.