[matroska-general] Re: Matroska in Adobe products / make Matroska a legal entity

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Fri Feb 28 14:19:43 CET 2003

En réponse à Christian HJ Wiesner <chris at matroska.org>:

> 300,- € !! This is for 10 years, and can be prolongued then ....
>

> If we have similar fees for
>
> USA
> Germany
> France
> Japan
> China
>
> we have a serious financing problem guys :( ....
>
> Any comments ?

I think you can already drop the China one. But instead there should probably be
the UK (funny I don't know much developpers from there). These are the places
where most of the business take place.

I suggest we "secure" the name where we'll establish the associtation. That's
the minimum. And then as we get (maybe someday) money, we can protect the
name/logo in other places. The USA should probably next in the list (if the
association is there).

The idea of protecting the name, is that noone can make business with the name
matroska (in the same field of activity) if we don't agree with them. So the USA
is probably the most important "market" that no developper/company would want to
be inaccessible...

Since most of us don't have a decent regular income, I think Christian and I
will probably have to pay for the beggining (association settlement, one or 2
trademark protection). Others who have a decent income are encouraged to help
(not immediatly of course).

BTW, that makes me think that we'll have to settle a paypal account and a bank
account. Paypal can't be considered as a bank here, I think. Maybe in the US, it
can. I don't know. That should also be an important point for choosing the
location of the association.