[matroska-general] Re: Matroska in Adobe products / make Matroska a legal entity

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Fri Feb 28 12:27:32 CET 2003

En réponse à Christian HJ Wiesner <chris at matroska.org>:

> for your understanding, being a non-profit organisation does *not* mean
> you are not allowed to sell goods or services, or to request money for
> them ! The only very important difference to a real company is ( AFAIK )
> that you
> - cant pay dividends to investors or founders. All the money raised in
> the organisation has to stay within. This makes it *very* unattractive
> for sponsors to participate in such an organisation .. lol
> - cant sell the organisation itself to anybody, and this includes all
> stuff belonging to it ( can be houses, furniture, PCs, etc. ).

Oh, I never thought about that. This all looks good to me.

> Again, non-profit organisations *can* employ people and pay them
> salaries ! So, in principal we *could* employ you, Cyrius, Ludovic,
> Mosu, Frank, etc as developers to 'support' the spreading of matroska.

Yes, that's correct. My brother used to work for a non profit organisation.

> > Well, yes, this could be a good/fair source of funding.
>
> But admittedly it will be hard to convince the German government that
> writing a software is serving the community ;) ...

Well, mentality may change with time. That's just a possibility. After all the
german government is helping Suse (by using/buying it) and the french government
is helping Mandrake the same way. Of course the multimedia world will be less
important for the community.

> > I don't think it really matters. We could call it matroska.org a
> suffix won't
> > hurt much.
>
> If you think it doestn matter, and everybody agrees, i can try to find
> out in parallel to Ciler's investigations about founding the
> organisation in Germany.

Yes, and actually a German association may look more "professional" and serious
than a french one. It's just a matter of psychology ;) And there is more
multimedia business in Germany than in France, at least in the music development.

> > Or maybe Ludovic, is back in metropolitan France soon and will
> probably be
> > unemployed for some time. We could all go to Toulouse (south of
> France) for the
> > launch :) But well, he already runs CoreCodec Inc so maybe there would
> be a
> > conflict of interrests (or blur).
>
> Toulouse !! Nice !! Eating good fish and the like ! I was asking
> Blacksun today if he could maybe ask his GF to dig out some info for us,
> but he didnt reply ;)

His GF is in La Rochelle (atlantic coast), not in Toulouse.

> >>patented, so anybody can 'ab'use them for his purposes ).
> >
> > That's one part I'm not sure a non profit organisation can do.
>
> Hmmm ... correct, that may be difficult. On the other hand, big
> non-profit organisations like the Red Cross do have their signs
> protected also, so it should be possible ?

Yes, it can probably work.