[matroska-general] Re: Porting Matroska to C

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Fri Feb 28 09:33:38 CET 2003

Hi Animesh, Hi Shelly !

Animesh wrote:
> Oh yes! i guess i forgot to do a reply all :(
> anyways, to update u, we r in synch and i wud be
> sending him the first cut of code sometime today.. in
> the meantime he has been working on an extended api
> set..

Good to hear you guys have synced !

Hmmm ... extended API .... Hmmm .... please dont forget to consult
Moritz 'mosu' Bunkus here if you plan to make any major changes to
Steve's original C API, as he will be very likely the one using it for
the 'official' mplayer patch ( he has one already, but using the C++ lib
), same goes to Ronald 'BBB' Bultje for the gstreamer plugin ( he
prefers a C lib also IIRC ).

> u may soon be expecting something in the cvs.. prolly
> the first cut which wud do the reading of ebml..
> Animesh.

Good news ! Does that mean you already have a working C port on your HDD
that can do the basic EBML stuff ? Now that would be great, and beyond
all my wildest expectations !!

In any case folks, please hear my advice :

* use the mailing lists more !!! *    :grin:

Communication is a very very important factor in an opensource project,
otherwise there is a high risk of precious work made double or people
getting pissed because they feel they are not being taken serious.

Dont be afraid to use the lists if you feel there is something the other
folks should know about, thats what they are here for. We are a small
team and only very few people are subscribed to our lists, so we can use
them as we like to, without having to fear the project looses credibility.

I'd be very pleased if you guys could join in our IRC channel also by
time, simply use chatzilla ( comes with mozilla, www.mozilla.org ) and
enter '/server irc.corecodec.com' and '/join #matroska' , or use mIRC (
www.mirc.com ). Many important discussions and decisions are being done
on there, so you shouldnt miss it being there from time to time. If you
are caught behind a firewall and cant use port 6667, drop me a line, we
find a solution.

Regards

Christian