[matroska-general] Re: Message to the C porting team

Christian Wiesner christian.hj.wiesner at web.de
Mon Feb 17 18:18:09 CET 2003

Hi Animesh !!!

Animesh Srivastava wrote:

>Hi Chris,
>	Sorry for not being able to ping you earlier.. Well, the status so
>far is not very encouraging,.. while Sailesh has not been able to get in
>touch with me or santiago,.. I did recieve a couple of mails from Santiago..
>his other committments are at the moment pulling him a bit too far to allow
>him to contribute any efforts towards this.. at the same time, I guess he
>has mentioned that Java being his core competency, it might just take a
>little while for him to get going in C.. i understand that its a voluntary
>help, ppl have committments and i always try to keep this in mind while
>communicating..

Dont worry, if Santiago feels stronger on Java he may contribute to
spyder's existing EBML java classes first if he prefers that, and evolve
into using C from there .... lets see what he will tell us if he finds
the time to reply.

>I do realize the importance of the library, and I have been following
>

>closely the discussions on the mailing lists, - the website too mentioned
>the "impending" need of C library.. at the same time was trying to recode
>everything clean in C.. The way I was approachin it was fundamental - went
>thru the ebml specs of ours, and the wap ppl.. got the differences and
>fundamentals clear.. code EBML first.. and then see if porting other things
>in lib is also required by them..

Does that mean you really could start working on it already ?? Thats is
great !!! That is in fact more than we could ever expect ! Thanks so
much Animesh !

>Anyways,.. now that this impending is becoming really **immediate**,. let me
>put a simple question.. wat is the first cut of code you would like to have?
>wat functionalities it shud support? I mean, wat wud be the bare minimum
>which those guys need at the earliest? It might seem strange at this time,
>but I wud like to let u know that the answer to this wud help me a long way
>in prioritising the work and get it done ASAP. What is the least that will
>satisfy the mplayer ppl, and by wat earliest time we need it?

Mosu, can you please answer that question ? I guess its mainly the
demuxing part that had to be done right ? But this may require all EBML
classes to be existing first, right ?

>Okay, at the same time,.. one more thing.. a C wrapper over a C++ lib would
>do for them? but not a C++ lib,.. Why? I didnt get the point, (though it is
>_not_ necessary to spend time and effort explaining me about that right now,
>with so many things pushing around at such pace,.. but sometime in future if
>u have time, I would be glad if you or someone else could explain the
>reservations they have about using a C++ lib..

Huh, as always its well possible its me who is talking rubbish here,
please always bare in mind i dont have the faintest idea of coding ;) !!
Steve or Mosu, would you care to clarify ?

>It might be pretty obvious to
>some but pardon my limited understanding and do take pains to explain me
>that..) For the time being, just let me know the bare minimum functionality
>and by wen we need it... i will try my best to get it thru.. or let u know
>if i realise that doing that within the given time frame is beyond the best
>of my capabilities.. so that we can pool in some ppl and get it done..
>- Animesh.

Yup, let me try to repeat my advertising on sourceforge to see if
anybody feels like helping us out. Also i heard that our friend spyder
plans on improving his C knowledge :D ??

>Hope u wont mind my using that salutation "Chris"... :)

Not at all !! Contributors to matroska are my friends !

Regards

Christian

http://matroska.org