[matroska-general] Re: Message to the C porting team

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Mon Feb 17 16:51:09 CET 2003

Hi.

> According to Mosu (Moritz Bunkus) they don't like C++ for portability and
> compilers portability issues. I can understand that if they share their
> libraries with other apps (is that the case ?). And in the end they will want
> something in C. Now a C wrapper of the C++ library will probably have all the
> disadvantages of C++ and the ones of C. So I personally think that there should
> be an alternative library (libmatroska_c) written in C only. This library could
> be later used in low profile hardware players too.

Exactly. A C wrapper around the C++ does not gain us (regarding
MPlayer) anything. As I said the MPlayer guys have had problems
compiling C++ with several compilers. MPlayer is used on a lot of
different operating systems with a LOT of different compiler versions
(from gcc 2.92 or something that new to 3.2.2), and not every one of
those versions handles C++ as well as others do.

--
 ==> Ciao, Mosu (Moritz Bunkus)
http://matroska.org