[matroska-general] Re: Message to the C porting team

Animesh Srivastava animesh.srivastava at blr.techspan.com
Mon Feb 17 16:00:54 CET 2003

Hi Chris,
	Sorry for not being able to ping you earlier.. Well, the status so
far is not very encouraging,.. while Sailesh has not been able to get in
touch with me or santiago,.. I did recieve a couple of mails from Santiago..
his other committments are at the moment pulling him a bit too far to allow
him to contribute any efforts towards this.. at the same time, I guess he
has mentioned that Java being his core competency, it might just take a
little while for him to get going in C.. i understand that its a voluntary
help, ppl have committments and i always try to keep this in mind while
communicating..

I do realize the importance of the library, and I have been following
closely the discussions on the mailing lists, - the website too mentioned
the "impending" need of C library.. at the same time was trying to recode
everything clean in C.. The way I was approachin it was fundamental - went
thru the ebml specs of ours, and the wap ppl.. got the differences and
fundamentals clear.. code EBML first.. and then see if porting other things
in lib is also required by them..

Anyways,.. now that this impending is becoming really **immediate**,. let me
put a simple question.. wat is the first cut of code you would like to have?
wat functionalities it shud support? I mean, wat wud be the bare minimum
which those guys need at the earliest? It might seem strange at this time,
but I wud like to let u know that the answer to this wud help me a long way
in prioritising the work and get it done ASAP. What is the least that will
satisfy the mplayer ppl, and by wat earliest time we need it?

Okay, at the same time,.. one more thing.. a C wrapper over a C++ lib would
do for them? but not a C++ lib,.. Why? I didnt get the point, (though it is
_not_ necessary to spend time and effort explaining me about that right now,
with so many things pushing around at such pace,.. but sometime in future if
u have time, I would be glad if you or someone else could explain the
reservations they have about using a C++ lib.. It might be pretty obvious to
some but pardon my limited understanding and do take pains to explain me
that..) For the time being, just let me know the bare minimum functionality
and by wen we need it... i will try my best to get it thru.. or let u know
if i realise that doing that within the given time frame is beyond the best
of my capabilities.. so that we can pool in some ppl and get it done..

- Animesh.
Hope u wont mind my using that salutation "Chris"... :)