[matroska-general] Message to the C porting team

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Mon Feb 17 15:13:16 CET 2003

Hi animesh, hi Santiago, hi shailesh !

Sorry to send another email to you guys, you might feel set under
pressure meanwhile i guess, i hope you dont get me wrong here as this is
certainly not my intention, not at all.

There is one big problem though with the task you guys have been
offering to look at :

WE NEED THAT C LIBRARY DESPERATELY !!   The mplayer people have made
clear to us that they dont want to distribute C++ sources with their
player package, and mplayer is currently the most important player for
the Linux world. Moritz 'mosu' Bunkus ( see cc. ) has a first version of
a Linux muxer functional already, so in principal we could start to mux
AVIs and MP3/Vorbis audio into matroska files right now on Linux, but we
cant play them yet :-( ! Mosu can make a mplayer plugin once we have the
C library or at least a C API.

Of course, we would prefer a solution with a complete port of the lib
from C++ to C, because this was a 'clean' solution. On the other hand,
if it helped to get mplayer ( or Xine ) support quickly, a C API or a C
wrapper was just fine as well ! I dont know what the current status with
you guys is right now, if you had the chance already to look at the
sources, and even did some work, if you are keeping up communication
between you, etc.

But please understand it is such an essential task for us, it is
necessary that we get a kind of feedback from you if you are on the case
or not, and what your current status is. Please guys, i'd like to
receive an email from any of you about what your actual plans are, and
if you think you can contribute to this, or if you dont find the time or
are not interested anymore. Note that there are a couple of other
interesting tasks pending as well, that have a lower priority for us,
and such may be the ideal thing for you if you cant contribute to
matroska on a regular basis.

I sincerely hope i could successfully explain to you how delicate this C
porting job is for us, and why we need to get a first status report from
you guys about the feasibility from your side. In any case we are glad
to have you in the team, and we are looking forward to working with you
on our beloved project.

Best regards

Christian

http://matroska.org