[matroska-general] Deja Vu : the mplayer people reinventing the wheel :-(

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Sun Feb 16 23:00:25 CET 2003

About the problem of defining a way to store huge video frames and small
bitrate audio in one and the same container :

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.devel/7628

http://news.gmane.org/thread.php?group=gmane.comp.video.mplayer.devel&first=
51&last=100

About the main difference between MCF/matroska and their format ( they call
it MPCF still ) :

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.devel/7639
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.devel/7641
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.devel/7647
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.devel/7649
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.devel/7653  !!!!
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.devel/7661
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.devel/7673
http://news.gmane.org/thread.php?group=gmane.comp.video.mplayer.devel

I have still not understood why Michael Niedermeier is wasting his genius on
creating another container format. He should improve ffmpeg to make it kick
DivX5's ass, instead he is reinventing the wheel we all have been thinking
about for 2 years now. In the end they will reach a few limitations of their
( fast made ) structure pretty soon. Its a bit similar to reading through
the old MCF mailing lists, but admittedly those guys have a much better
background at least with MPEG container than we had ....

Christian
http://matroska.org

http://matroska.org