[matroska-general] Re: file check/repair tool

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Wed Feb 12 14:55:42 CET 2003

En réponse à Christian HJ Wiesner <christian at matroska.org>:

> - spyder's java based MCF implementation was a perfect way to find holes
> in
> the docs or in libmcf, when we x-checked the files created with one of
> the
> other. If we had the same for matroska we could use that to prove
> libmatroska is free of errors, and the docs are clear in any case.

YES !

> - many webbased tools today are basing on java, and i can see a use
> for
> matroska for webbased apps also

Not sure anybody will use that.

> - a tool for general use, such as the file repair tool we need, could
> be used on almost any platform if its based on Java

Yes.

> - EBML needs a working java implementation if it wanted to take off
> for
> purposes outside of matroska .... i guess this was our aim when founding
> it as a separate project on sourceforge ?

Well in my mind it was mostly to let other people know this binary system exists
and can be used. Otherwise it would get lost in matroska and wouldn't have the
opportunity to evolve on its own.

> > existing to parse matroska file. It's up to you to decide which way
> you
> want to
> > go :)
>
> I dont agree ;-) ! It should be our decision as the team leaders how
> the
> tools should be developed. Thana was offering us to join the team as
> an
> active member, so this is much different to somebody wokring on his
> own, outside the team, doing his own things.

I hear what you say, but it's thana's decision to decide which stuff he wants to
work on, knowing there are many possibilities. So far we haven't listed these
works and put some priorities.
After all, he's coming to acquire some knowledge, as we all do, so let him chose
the ones he wants :) As you said, we're here because it's fun. If it's not fun
anymore (orders) then it's not worth it.
http://matroska.org