[matroska-general] Re: file check/repair tool

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Wed Feb 12 12:54:11 CET 2003

En réponse à thana <thanatos666 at gmx.net>:

> hi all
>
> i'm a 23 year old student for media technologies from austria and i
> would
> very much like to contribute to your project. i'm following the
> development
> of mcf/matroska from it's beginning and i'm reading the mailing-list
> for
> some time now, and also the specs. i've some experience in programming
> (c/c++/java), and although i'm not up to the task of writing
> dshow-fiters,
> container-libraries or other very advanced stuff, i'm confident i
> could
> manage the job writing this file/check repair-tool, preferrably in java
> so
> that it's cross-plattform compatible out of the box (or hopefully so
> ;)).
> starting from the end of february i have plenty of time to work on
> that
> tool, so that development could be finished shortly.

Great !
Thanks for the offer thanatos666 (scary name ;)

I have nothing against java, but the problem is that most people won't like to
need a JVM to run an application (how many here have a JVM installed on their
machine ?). But the main problem I see (after most current OS ship with a JVM),
is that there is no libmatroska code existing for java for the moment. So you
won't be able to build your tool on existing classes.

My opinion on this tool is that it could be command line application, that could
come with a GUI or in a library form (the core of the tool) to be used by other
apps (java GUI, VB GUI, TCMP plugin, etc). And so far there is only C++ code
existing to parse matroska file. It's up to you to decide which way you want to
go :)
http://matroska.org