[matroska-general] Re: lavrec AVIs over 2Gig on ext3?

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Sat Feb 1 23:04:40 CET 2003

"Martin Collins" <martin at mkcollins.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:20030201154104.5144111e.martin at mkcollins.org...
> On 01 Feb 2003 13:47:58 +0100
> OGM has a head start here. Many of the DVD ripping gurus (eg.
> alt.binaries.monter-movies) are using it with XVid/vorbis, even
> the Windows guys.
> Don't give up on MPlayer, it may not get an official .deb but it
> still works and many people are using it. It does play OGMs and
> in combination with Moritz Bunkus' ogmtools you can create them too.
> There are also DirectShow filters for playing OGMs in WMP.

Please allow me to point out that OGM has its origin in a DirectShow filter,
or to be more precise in 2 of them :

- a Dshow based OGM muxer, including Vorbis encoder
- a OGM parser for DShow

The first OGM files were created with Graphedit, the Windows DirectShow GUI,
made by M$. In a second step koepi made a nice GUI for it ( but still
calling the DShow muxer ), and only in a third step Moritz Bunkus was
capable of 'reverse engineer' Tobias filters and create Linux tools for the
format. It was Alban 'albeu' Bedel who added OGM parsing to mplayer, and
again Moritz Bunkus who could solve some bugs ( seeking, etc. )

> Surely that's only three :-) I believe the MCF spec is still not
> complete. OGM may not be completely specified either but it's out
> there and people are using it. Matroska may be the best long-term bet,
> but only if people think it better than OGM.
> Martin

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, we consider matroska as a solution designed
for the future. We dont know if people will prefer it against OGM, but we
also have a few things prepared to hold against it ;-)  :

UCI   ( Universal Codec Interface; http://uci.sf.net )
USF   ( Universal Subtitle Format ; http://corecodec.org/projects/usf )
UMI

OGM is mainly a VfW video stream packed into Ogg. Sorry for the arrogance,
but we cant see it as a real challenge for matroska and the concept behind
it.

Regards

Christian

http://matroska.org