[Matroska-general] Re: Matroska

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Sat Dec 20 00:09:52 CET 2003

Mike Melanson wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, Jim Leonard wrote:
>>
>>I have to admit, I have no idea why we needed another container format.  What
>>was wrong with MPEG-4?
>

> 	Ooh, ouch, I hope you're ready for a good flaming...:) Not from
> me, but from the hordes of Quicktime-format-haters out there who hate
> official MPEG-4 files even more because they're a bizarre extension of QT.
> 	But you won't get it from me because I am a big fan of QT.
> 	-Mike Melanson

;) .... from me neither, MP4 is pretty nice for what its made for.

About matroska, we currently have

XviD
DivX 3/4/5
WMV9
MPEG4V1/2/3
RealVideo ( rv 10,20,30,40 = RV9 )
any VCM codec

MP3
AC3
DTS
AAC
AAC SBR
Vorbis
FLAC
MP2
RA8
RALF
ATRAC
CELP
any ACM codec

SRT
SSA
ASS
Vobsub
Vobsub/zlib

chapters
track names
tags
attachements

supported in matroska already, and in any combination and unlimited
number of tracks.

I know this all, in theory, could have been done with MOV also, but i
dont know of any existing software that actually does it ;) ?

About Arpi's rant( C++ ) : we have a nice working C lib now, made by
Ronald 'BBB' Bultje, in L-GPL. Its the base for his matroska gstreamer
plugin, and in gstreamer CVS.

Christian
matroska project admin