[Matroska-general] Matroska in closed source products

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Thu Dec 4 23:41:00 CET 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 22:48, Christian HJ Wiesner wrote:
> 2. New C library from BBB : Ronald 'BBB' Bultje has made a new library
> in C, not C++ like libmatroska/libebml, so that maybe one day matroska
> may get supported in FFMPEG/libavformat. The license for this library is
> L-GPL, so this allows use in closed source programs also, as long as you
> make the code for the library itself available, and even via a link in
> your documentation. This code can not be found in the matroska CVS, its
> currently in the Gstreamer CVS ( http://gstreamer.net ) and used in the
> matroska plugin for gstreamer. Its currently playback only, but should
> be ideal for your purpose, even if some of the more advanced features of
> matroska are not implemented yet.

Just wanted to clear up two things:
1) it's not a lib. ;). It's a plugin. If you want to use it yourself,
copy the files, make it a loadable plugin in your system and provide
LGPL sources and patches. That's fully legal. Don't forget that the
sources require glib. There's a win32 version of glib, it's LGPL too.
You can also do a search'n'replace, we mostly only use types from glib
(gint instead of int, gchar instead of char, etc. - for portability
reasons), we don't use that many glib functions.
2) the things unimplemented are menus and metadata.

The code can be found in CVS, module gst-plugins, dir gst/matroska/.

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer