[Matroska-general] Matroska in closed source products

Hauke Duden H.NS.Duden at gmx.net
Thu Dec 4 19:42:49 CET 2003

Hello all,

I'm currently evaluating on whether we will include Matroska support in
our free - but closed source - media player (Ashampoo Media Player+).

However, it seems that this is not possible with either of the two
licenses you offer for your libraries. The GPL is of course not an
option for closed source programs. And I'm not too familiar with the
QPL, but it seems to me that it also requires applications using the
libraries to be open-sourced.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the following part of the license
seems to make that pretty clear:

"""
6. You may develop application programs, reusable components and other
software items that link with the original or modified versions of the
   Software.  These items, when distributed, are subject to the
following    requirements:
<snip>
      b. You must explicitly license all recipients of your items to use
         and re-distribute original and modified versions of the items in
         both machine-executable and source code forms.
<snip>
"""

If I understand this correctly, then "items" refers to application
programs using the matroska libs and 6.b requires those to be open source.

However, I have seen commercial players with Matroska support. Have
these programs implemented their own Matroska libraries from your specs
or is there some aspect to this license that I don't understand?

Thanks for any insights,

	Hauke Duden