[Matroska-devel] Something missing which would be extremely useful.

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Sun Jan 21 17:41:43 CET 2018

Hello,

Not sure what you are proposing here.

The displayed area is not necessarily the size that the codec deals
with internally. At the Matroska level we know of this "codec padding"
and adjust the dimensions according to how it's supposed to be
properly displayed. But it's really a codec constraint that may differ
between codecs (usually dimensions multiple of 16, 32 or even 64
pixels).

> If MKV could support positioning information along width and height of video
> on a per chapter or per video basis this would allow the additional
> information that comes from format shifting my DVD/Blu ray collection such
> as left, right. upper and lower borders to be removed without the need to
> clip the video.
>
> At present it seems the only way to maintain the aspect ratio of video
> without clipping it is to encode the entire video leaving bars down the left
> and right of the screen as well as at the top or bottom depending on the
> video this also increases the overall size of the output file which is not
> desirable.
>
> I might be grasping at straws an maybe MKV format already handles this and I
> don't know about it but I have seen no information that verifies that this
> is the case.

> Read Matroska-Devel on GMane:

Steve Lhomme
Matroska association Chairman