[Matroska-devel] Something missing which would be extremely useful.

Chasse Court chasse.court at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 10:44:31 CET 2018

If MKV could support positioning information along width and height of
video on a per chapter or per video basis this would allow the additional
information that comes from format shifting my DVD/Blu ray collection such
as left, right. upper and lower borders to be removed without the need to
clip the video.

At present it seems the only way to maintain the aspect ratio of video
without clipping it is to encode the entire video leaving bars down the
left and right of the screen as well as at the top or bottom depending on
the video this also increases the overall size of the output file which is
not desirable.

I might be grasping at straws an maybe MKV format already handles this and
I don't know about it but I have seen no information that verifies that
this is the case.