[Matroska-devel] Code Of Conduct

Jerome Martinez jerome at mediaarea.net
Sun Oct 29 18:29:09 CET 2017

On 29/10/2017 16:32, Steve Lhomme wrote:
> [...]
>
> Changing the rules once they are set can be tricky. It can be
> perceived as a way to block certain people at the time they are
> changed. So it's important to get them right from the start.

On our side, we saw that the Contributor Covenant is becoming popular so
we didn't want to reinvent the wheel, but we also liked the Scope part
of the Django CoC. I especially like the line "In addition, violations
of this code outside these spaces may affect a person's ability to
participate within them" in the Django CoC, in order to be clear that we
don't accept people being nice with us because they have an agenda and
at the same time being less nice in other spaces because they don't care
of consequences. From my point of view, the Contributor Covenant was not
dealing with this case and it could have created difficulties like how
to deal with a person who does not violate our rules with us but prevent
other people to come in physical spaces because they are afraid (with
reason) to meet such person.
So we took the Scope part from the Django project in order to include
this "corner case" (ok, we were not trying to reinvent the wheel, but we
mixed 2 CoC for fitting our needs)
You may consider to do same if you want to have such larger scope from
the beginning.

Our CoC: https://mediaarea.net/Conduct
Django CoC: https://www.djangoproject.com/conduct/

Jérôme