[Matroska-devel] Code Of Conduct

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Sun Oct 29 16:32:26 CET 2017

Hi everyone,

We'll soon celebrate our 15 years of existence and so far it has been
a civilized journey. Even when the project was forked from MCF, it was
still on technical ground and never getting personal. We have always
done things in good spirit. Even when engaging with competing
entities, like Xiph for example with ogg.

The world is changing though. The Internet has changed since then.
There are also more people and a project like ours is getting more and
more visibility with various audiences. To avoid any problem that may
come from that, I propose we adopt a Code Of Conduct. There is one at
VideoLAN and that's sometimes useful to keep people in line with the
spirit and goals of the project.

It seems the Contributor Covenant is becoming popular among Open
Source projects so I think that would be a good start. Or maybe
exactly what we need, I don't know. I think it's better we discuss
that before we formalize this for good.
https://www.contributor-covenant.org/

Changing the rules once they are set can be tricky. It can be
perceived as a way to block certain people at the time they are
changed. So it's important to get them right from the start.

--
Steve Lhomme
Matroska association Chairman