[Matroska-devel] Change license of mkvwriter?

Jerome Martinez jerome at mediaarea.net
Sun Jan 22 22:40:34 CET 2017

Le 16/01/2017 à 10:48, Matt Gruenke a écrit :
> I also wanted to ask whether we could change the license of mkvwriter
> (or my fork thereof) from GPL to one of the following:
>
>   * Boost Software License (http://www.boost.org/users/license.html)
>   * MIT
>   * Apache
>   * LGPL

If I can suggest, please consider MIT license for the following reasons:
- Trying to avoid proliferation of open source licenses, and this is the
most used license nowadays [1] [2]
- it permits to avoid compatibility problems, even for open source
projects, e.g. I had some (weird) constraints with the impossibility to
use even Apache licensed software in an open source tool because the
"sublicense" clause does not exist in it and I needed it for complying
to sponsor constraints.
- it permits to avoid a lot of headaches with lawyers about what you can
do and what you can not do; I wrote an essay about LGPL issues but
unfortunately only in French [3]
- it permits to avoid a debate about which LGPL version and option you
want to use (2.1, 2.1+, 3, 3+?)

The only counter-argument is that if you want to forbid closed-source
versions, but I see from the other answers that this looks like not a
wanted constraint.

[1] https://github.com/blog/1964-license-usage-on-github-com
[2] https://www.blackducksoftware.com/top-open-source-licenses
[3]