[Matroska-devel] TrackTypes & CodecIDs for non-standard data

Dave Rice dave at dericed.com
Fri Jan 20 18:10:09 CET 2017

Hi Matt,

> On Jan 16, 2017, at 10:50 PM, Matt Gruenke <matt.gruenke at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I need to mux together video frames and timestamped packets of non-standard binary data.  I thought I'd just add a track with custom TrackType & CodecID.  Is there any guidance for what values I should use?
>
> Perhaps some range of TrackTypes (maybe >= 224?) could be reserved for this purpose.
>
> Following the example of MIME, I thought maybe CodecIDs starting with 'X_' could be treated as private.

Discussions on the specifications of the Matroska format has mostly moved to the CELLAR listserv, https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cellar <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cellar>. Work on the definitions of codec handling for Matroska is happening at https://github.com/Matroska-Org/matroska-specification/blob/master/codec_specs.md <https://github.com/Matroska-Org/matroska-specification/blob/master/codec_specs.md>.

Dave Rice