[Matroska-devel] Tags, targets and test suite

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Sun Oct 16 17:09:50 CEST 2016

Please send technical requests to the proper mailing list.

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently working on an update to the "enzyme" python package, a MKV
> file parser. I just added support for nested "simpletags" and for the tag
> "targets" system. The package owner uses the Matroska Test Suite wave 1 for
> the unit tests and validation of the parser. Unfortunately, none of the
> files provided there include those features.
>
> 1. Targets
> The provided "testX-tag.xml" files do not correspond completely to the
> relates mkv files. The cases provide a "targettypevalue" in the xml file,
> but reading with "mkvinfo" or "mkvextract tags" shows that this value is not
> coded into the mkv.  (Except for test5.mkv, where I read a
> targettypevalue=50, as in the xml file). Is this normal? Does that mean that
> a good parser should automatically put the default (50) when no value is
> read?

This is normal. 50 is the default value for TargetTypeValue and thus
does not have to be written in the file.

> 2. Nested simpletags
> For all test files, the tags system is somewhat very simple, with only 3
> independent simpletags. Do you plan to add more tag complexity for testing
> purposes in future versions? I do understand that this functionality is not
> needed in a basic parser, but I thing it could be useful to test if a
> complete file (with a complex tag system) makes this basic parser crash
> (which should not happen).

As we are standardizing the format we are starting to create a lot of
test files. That could be a good idea. Feel free to send a pull
request.

https://github.com/Matroska-Org/matroska-test-files

--
Steve Lhomme