[Matroska-devel] [Cellar] Channel Positions for Multichannel LPCM Track Inside Matroska

Hendrik Leppkes via Matroska-devel matroska-devel at lists.matroska.org
Wed May 18 08:44:11 CEST 2016

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 8:38 AM, Steve Lhomme via Matroska-devel
<matroska-devel at lists.matroska.org> wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> We used to have a field for that but it was never used AFAIK
>>> https://matroska.org/technical/specs/index.html#ChannelPositions
>>>
>>> This is how it used to be, describing each speaker position with an
>>> angle. I don't know there is a standard way to express this. I'd
>>> assume the distance to the center should play a role too.
>>>
>>> https://web.archive.org/web/20071211091532/http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/channelposition/index.html
>>

>> This notation is appropriate for speaker positions in the horizontal plane,
>> but there is a problem. The LFE channel is omni-directional; so how do we
>> denote whether the LFE channel is present or not, in this notation?
>
> I agree, it's not sufficient. The idea was that it would be universal
> enough to cover mapping from all existing formats (which should be our
> goal). But missing LFE is a problem. Also you're right, there could be
> speakers up and down. So maybe a spherical position (2 angles ?), the
> type of frequency carried (LFE or all or all except LFE) and maybe an
> optional distance ?

Honestly who is ever going to convert all sorts of  information into
this format, and back?
Mappings to established channel order fields would be extremely
complex, which would result in it not getting used and the MS mode
staying the choice of mode to store multichannel PCM.

Why not offer a bog-standard WAV-like channel order field?