[Matroska-devel] [Cellar] Colour Format proposal

Frank Galligan via Matroska-devel matroska-devel at lists.matroska.org
Tue Mar 29 18:11:52 CEST 2016

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 5:05 AM, Steve Lhomme <slhomme at matroska.org> wrote:

> > OK really no comments for a long time.
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 1:45 PM, Michael Niedermayer
> > <michael at niedermayer.cc> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi

> are

> Luminance,

> indicates

> >> what would this be set to for old 16bit rgb, that is 5 bit red
> >> 6 bit green, 5 bit blue rawvideo.
> >> This maybe does not matter and iam not strongly suggesting to add it,
> >> rather i want to point it out so its not unintentionally forgotten
> >

> > I didn't get into RGB here. As you said 565, 551, there are a good
> amount of
> > combinations. I think DirectShow (or maybe it was DirectDraw) that had
> > R,G,B, and A masks to show which bits belonged to which channel. I also
> > worked with formats like RGBBGR repeating.
> >>

> >> [...]
> every

> chroma

> every

> >> What if Cr is subsampled more than Cb ?
> >> That too is rather obscure, but theres code in FFmpeg to handle such
> >> jpegs, so i suspect this case while very rare is not entirely non
> >> existent ...
> >

> > I guess we can add that as well if more people really want it. Actually I
> > didn't even have CbSubsampling* elements at first. I only added that to
> > support the 4:2:1 format that was defined in the first enum.

> 1:

> >> iam not sure this is enough to specify all variants
> >> for 4:2:0 alone there are a few different variants
> >> theres mpeg1 style
> >> mpeg2 progressive and interlaced
> >> the mpeg2/mpeg4 style also differs from itself if the image is fliped
> >> right-left
> >> cropping 1 or 2 lines of the top of mpeg2 yuv420 also results in
> >> different variants
> >

> > I also didn't get into interlaced.
> >

> > I don't think we should add enough elements to support every format that
> was
> > ever produced. Opinions?
>
> For archival (one of the main goal here) I think we should.
>
> > I think we should probably strive to support 99% of what is currently
> > produced today. Opinions?
>
> The problem is that when you leave 1% out, you need to be sure it's
> possible to integrate it later. Usually the best approach is to know
> beforehand how you're going to do it. So in the end it's just like
> covering it. That's just a general remark though.

I don't want to exclude anything in the future, but I also don't want to
make something overly complex/over specified to support a format that will
barely see any use.

I want to move forward with this, so how about we make a list and then vote
on what we think should be added to the sepc?
1. Raw RGB
2. Raw YUV
3. Interlaced
4. mpeg1 style