[Matroska-devel] EBML IRL survey

Dave Rice via Matroska-devel matroska-devel at lists.matroska.org
Tue Mar 8 05:28:41 CET 2016

> On Oct 25, 2015, at 4:30 AM, Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org> wrote:
>
> Hey,
>
>> Histogram of matroska versions:
>> 443 1
>> 827 2
>> 646 4
>>
>> What happened to matroska version 3? Is 4 considered 'released'?
>
> The reason 3 doesn't show up is pretty simple. If people use mkvmerge by
> default then mkvmerge uses features from v4. If people turn those
> features off (e.g. for improved playback on hardware devices with bad
> Matroska implementations) then mkvmerge uses v2.
>
> The only element that v3 adds over v2 is the stereo mode flag. So
> mkvmerge only writes v3 files if advanced features of v4 are turned off
> and stereo mode is used. That's rare, to say the least.

Found one: http://archive.org/download/kazaroza-milhim_windowslive_Hd/Amazing.Ocean.2012.3D.1080p.Bluray.H-SBS.X264.DL-HDChina.mkv. Matroska version 3 is indeed rare. This is the only one I’ve found in the wild. And as you note it uses the stereo mode flag. Oddly the file is version 3 of matroska, but uses ReadVersion of 2, though with a version 2 semantics the file’s presentation is out of context.
Dave Rice