[Matroska-devel] Depth offsets for subtitles in case of 3D MVC tracks in MKV files

Nithin Mathew Kurien via Matroska-devel matroska-devel at lists.matroska.org
Mon Jan 25 15:09:32 CET 2016

Hi,

Playback of 3D MVC tracks in MKV files is now possible through LAV
splitter and madVR. I would like to request an information field in
Matroska that specifies the depth offsets for subtitles when playing
such video files. According to the Blu-ray whitepaper
(http://www.blu-raydisc.com/assets/Downloadablefile/BD-ROM-AV-WhitePaper_110712.pdf),
the way it is done in 3D Blu-rays is like this. The MVC track can have
up to 32 Offset Metadata Sequences (OFS, also called 3D offsets in
TSMuxer). An Offset Metadata Sequence has one depth offset (in pixels,
either in front of or behind the plane of the screen) for each video
frame. Each subtitle and menu track has one of these 32 Offset
Metadata Sequences assigned to it in the M2TS file. In this way, when
a 3D Blu-ray is being played, the subtitle or menu track can be
displayed at the proper depth in 3D space (otherwise it would cut
through the objects in the video, disrupting the viewing experience).
Currently, there is no means for specifying the 3D depth of subtitles
when playing 3D MVC MKVs. I would like to request support for the
same.

Thanks and regards,
Nithin