[Matroska-devel] [Cellar] ReferenceTimecode tracks in Matroska proposal

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Thu Jan 14 13:37:32 CET 2016

> Le 10/01/2016 23:57, Dave Rice a écrit :
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Here is an early draft of Elements for managing ReferenceTimecode tracks.
>> Matroska uses the term 'Timecode' to reference presentation timestamps,
>> whereas other formats (QuickTime, MXF) use 'Timecode' to reference a time
>> reference that is added to the timeline which is inpendent of the
>> presentation (i.e. a QuickTime file with a timecode track that starts at one
>> hour aka 1:00:00;00 would not cause a one hour delay before playback
>> starts). In the context of Matroska I am using ReferenceTimecode (for now)
>> to refer to QuickTime/MXF style timecode tracks.
>>
>> TrackType:
>> Add to the TrackType definition to list "0x13: timecode,"
>>
>> CodecID:
>> Add the following timecode Codec IDs.
>> Codec ID        | Name               | Description
>> T_QUICKTIME     | QuickTime Timecode | Timecode data as stored in
>> QuickTime, e.q. tmcd. The CodecPrivate contains all additional data that is
>> stored in the 'tcmd' (timecode) atom in the QuickTime file.
>> Others? LTC? VITC?
>>
>> Proposed elements under TrackEntry:

Anything that's specific to a track type and not audio or video should
be under its own "umbrella" element, similar to Video [E0] and Audio
[E1].

> [...]
>> ID:           [EF]
>> Mandatory:    -
>> Multiple:     -
>> Default:      -
>> Type:         m
>>
>> Element Name: ReferenceTimecodeForm
>> Level:        4
>> ID:           [EF][A1]
>> Mandatory:    mand.
>> Multiple:     -
>> Range:        0-2
>> Default:      0
>> Type:         u
>> timecode (using HH for hours, MM for minutes, SS for seconds, mmm for
>> milliseconds, ff for frames).
>>                0: HH:MM:SS.mmm
>>                1: HH:MM:SS:ff (non-drop frame)
>>                2: HH:MM:SS;ff (drop frame)
>

> I don't see the purpose of such flag.
> a time code is not a time stamp, so no "HH:MM:SS.mmm" in the stream
> directly. From my point of view, it is the role of the player to propose
> either HH:MM:SS:ff or HH:MM:SS.mmm display formats for the same content. the
> container should not contain such detail.
> non-drop frame vs drop frame: it is already in the private data (not only
> for T_QUICKTIME, such flag is in all timecode formats I have ever seen). Is
> there a need to repeat it?
> If you want such piece of information for being able to compute the timecode
> without the private data, you also need the frame rate (as an integer).
>

>> Element Name: ReferenceTimecode24HourMax
>> Level:        4
>> ID:           [EF][A2]
>> Mandatory:    mand.
>> Multiple:     -
>> Range:        0-1
>> Default:      0
>> Type:         u
>> the time reference of 24 hours. Set to 1 if the ReferenceTimecode should use
>> a maximum value of 24 hours and wrap values back to zero hours at that
>> point.
>

> it is already in the private data. Is there a need to repeat it?
>

>> For storage of ReferenceTimecode values in Blocks, I suggest storing a
>> signed integer (ReferenceTimecode values may be negative). The stored signed
>> integer would be the frame number
>

> which format of the integer? EBML? if "32-bit signed integer", the issue is
> with (theoretical) huge values: if QuickTime settings are with
> NegativeTimes=0, you can not store the big numbers.
>
> Actually, I don't like the idea to "standardize" the storage, because we
> define the CodecID as "T_QUICKTIME", so we should just raw copy the stream
> from a .mov file, without modification (and without specifying it, as we
> don't specify the AVC stream for video. Reference is QuickTime
> specification).
> And with "T_QUICKTIME", we don't define our own format, so adding "increased
> by the duration of the corresponding video frame" in the definition does not
> make any sense: either we define a new timecode format, either we have the
> goal to use QuickTime format, but mixing "T_QUICKTIME" and our own
> definition will create a lot of confusion.

I agree, the storage in Blocks is codec specific and should be defined
separately.

Also if the goal is to "tag" frames with a timecode, putting an extra
element in BlockGroup seem more logicial.

Steve Lhomme
Matroska association Chairman